me

Projects

Intuitive Interface

The Intuitive Interface Initiative was a project focused on simplifying and unifying the on-screen data of various military-grade optics. The goal was to design an interface that would be usable, elegant, and able to 'skin' existing optical interfaces from various manufacturers; thereby reducing the learning curve and training requirements of the operator.
In this project, I worked as the lead designer and software developer. Early on, I worked with stake holders to define and refine requirements. I developed personas of the target users and user groups. I also examined video game interfaces for visual patterns that would be easily recognizable and familiar to the modern military operator, aged 30 or younger. I then conducted user observation and interviews during FSR training to further refine the project requirements and to validate the design direction.
With the user data gathered, I guided the design with the help of Craig Overman to its final iteration. I then used the Adobe® Flash platform to convert the designs to and interface SWC library for use. I structured the programming around the MVCS design pattern and the Robot Legs Framework.

Tweed

Tweed was a project I created for my masters for Savannah College of Art & Design. I conceived the project as I was really loving the experience of Flipboard on my iPad, but hadn't been released for phones yet. I had also wanted to experiment with the Twitter API and work on a mobile project. The entire build process can be found on my blog.
The project timeline was structured around the ten-week term of SCAD and I knew wouldn't be enough time to really polish the project. I also knew that I had a lot to learn about mobile frameworks and development. For development, I chose the Flex Mobile framework because of my familiarity with ActionScript and I had the software and libraries readily available. Early on, I debated doing a PhoneGap build to learn the development process and hone my HTML5 and CSS skills, but the limited time wasn't really conducive to learning a whole new framework from scratch.
The other major hurtle was the API policy changes that Twitter introduced just before I began working the project, requiring OAuth libraries to authorize API calls. This was the single largest hurtle to my development, but I was able to leverage existing libraries. Were I to attempt this project again, I would create my own, just to be sure that I could optimize and customize the authorization process.

Interactive Weapons Training

The Interactive Weapons Training application was a prototype to demonstrate and stress-test the Unity IDE and game engine for training software applications. This was another project that I worked closely with Craig Overman to design, implement and test the ideas and goals we were working on. I was looking for a good alternative to the often expensive development environments used to create current interactive 3d training applications. Unity was gaining a lot of notoriety in the indie-game development world, but I had yet to see examples of less game-focused projects.
Using roughly 3 months, I worked to define usability requirements and software features, as well as provide visual interface design and direction for the project at large. The project leveraged existing 3D models, developed using Autodesk Maya. The models were converted and imported and then textures reapplied and animations modified and scripted. Almost the entire project is programmed using Unityscript, which is a type-cast implementation of Javascript.
This prototype build and the experiences learned while building it became the focus of my presentation at Unite 2012 in Amsterdam, NL. I presented the topics I learned while coming as a new learner of the Unity3D IDE comparing development to my experience as a Flash/AS3 developer.